SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – The 14th annual Saratoga Chowderfest (part of the 15th annual Winter Weekend) set records for attendance, cups of chowder served bringing in new Bureau members and first-time Chowderfest contestants.
The Saratoga Convention and Tourism Bureau’s Chowderfest results:
• 71 outlets – including four new Bureau members and first-time Chowderfest contestants: 28 Tables, Bettie’s Cakes, Capriccio Saratoga, Saratoga Children’s Museum, Duo Modern Japanese, Elizabeth’s Table, Paddock Lounge, Peddler’s Bar & Bistro, Piper Boutique, Saratoga Casino & Raceway, Saratoga Olive Oil, Saratoga Springs Fire Station #1, Spring Street Deli and The Mine.
• A Record! Over 115,000 servings of chowder from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. (70,302 last year)
• A Record! Over 25,000 people on the streets (up from 14,000 last year)
• Large crowd for the Dog Chow Down contest between Dawgdom, Impressions of Saratoga and Sloppy Kisses. Celebrity judge, Biff…Mayor Johnson’s pooch, chose the winner of the Chow Down, Sloppy Kisses of Saratoga!
• Distributed approximately 3,000 long sleeve t-shirts and 1,200 CHUGS!
• The Convention Bureau donated money to Taylor’s Heroes and the Saratoga Arts Center
Chowderfest 2012 Winners:
The winners-by vote of the chowder consumers themselves
• Dog Chow Down – Sloppy Kisses of Saratoga
• Best On Broadway — Cantina
• Best Off Broadway — Seven Horse Pub
• Best Non-Downtown — Longfellows Restaurant
• Best Newcomer — The Saratoga Springs Fire Department, Station #1
• Most Chowder Served — The Parting Glass
• People’s Choice — Seven Horse Pub
• New Category this year: Best Chowder-Themed Dessert—Bettie’s Cakes
Todd Garofano, President of the Saratoga Convention & Tourism Bureau, explains, “We had an unbelievable turnout for Chowderfest. Certainly, the weather was fantastic and played a big roll but we also ramped up our marketing and cast a wider net. We drew visitors and groups from as far away as NJ, PA, CT and Boston. We had a group of 13 pilots fly their private aircraft from around the Northeast into Saratoga County Airport just for Chowderfest. And while this has traditionally been a big day for our restaurant and bar owners, this was a huge day for our retailers, one said it was the biggest single sales day they had in the six years they have been open downtown, and for our hotels which offered lodging specials for the weekend. As we look forward to our 15th Anniversary for Chowderfest next year, we’ll look to continue to improve the experience for our visitors and residents alike and drive business to our local merchants.”
SAVE THE DATE: 15th Anniversary of Chowderfest is February 2, 2013!